The past few weeks have been consumed with baby showers and doctor visits. For the rest of my pregnancy, I will be in a doctor's office at least once a week. At least.
On December 4, Jason was able to stay in Lexington with me as we celebrated Lucy with our friends and family in Central KY. Nana (Becky) and Aunt Laura threw an adorable shower filled with yummy snacks, fun games, and lots of our favorite people. Despite the awful weather, we spent time showing off Lucy's sonogram photos and talking about the nursery that we're creating for her. Jason even had a shower buddy, since Lucy's Paran (that's cajun for Godfather) Topher came to hang out. We brought home all sorts of great gifts-- from a booster seat to a bath frog pod! We received a beautiful frame for Lucy's Garden from Topher and Jenni. A stroller, lots of perfect outfits, much needed blankets, other baby basics, and even Nana's brush that she used as a little girl. It was really a fantastic day!
On December 5 (that's right-- the next day!), Jason had to go to work, but I don't think he would have enjoyed this shower as much as the other. I have always loved having a large family, and this was the perfect day to be reminded just how large it is. ;) Nearly 30 ladies gathered to play games (some fun, some "educational"), eat more yummy food, and open gifts! My grandma, Joan, and 3 of her 4 sisters were at the shower, along with one of my mom's cousins. With the exception of one, all of my aunts were there. Many of my cousins joined us, as well as a few of my mom's sisters-in-law. And of course, my mom and sister. It was definitely a full house. Aunt Judy made a rocking chair cake in brown and pink. My mom made a diaper cake as a center piece. And again, we received so many gifts including Lucy's bassinet, changing pad, blankets, clothes, toys, night lights, and so much more. It was another great day and a wonderful weekend to celebrate with so many of the women who will be pivotal in Lucy's life.
My mom created this Smilebox of photos from Lucy's Shower in NKY
Since the showers, Jason and I have been working on the nursery. We didn't receive much bedding, so we used the giftcards and coupons that we received to buy what we needed to finish Lucy's crib. I also bought some fabric and made Lucy's curtains and a dust ruffle. And I just couldn't wait to start doing baby laundry, so our blankets and sheets are ready to go. We have some newborn clothes that have been washed, but most of the clothes that we have are for 3-9 months, so we'll see how fast our little Peanut grows through them.
Also, I've had an onslaught of doctor appointments these past few months. We had a regular visit and were allowed to see the certified midwives early this month, but that changed after I complained about pain and swelling in my leg. I've had pain and numbing in my left leg since October, but completely chalked it up to sciatica. However, I started swelling about a month ago-- just a little in my ankles. It always went away once I went to bed at night, so no big deal. However, one night, I had terrible pain in my leg and I noticed that a ping pong ball of fluid had developed on my left knee. I tried to sleep it off, but it stuck with me the next day. So, I called the doctor and they brought me in right away to check for preeclampsia.
Praise the Lord, no preeclampsia. I was really nervous about being put on bed rest or being kept at the hospital for monitoring. The doctor suspected sciatica, but wanted to be sure, so I went to the cardiology unit the next morning to have an ultrasound (I really should have invested in that goo!) on my leg. No clots, just sciatica. And guess what-- since then, Lucy has moved into my ribs, eliminating about 75% of the sciatica. Figures. :)
After that surprise trip to the OB and cardiology, I was given a week off from visits. We finished child birth classes, learning post-partum and newborn care. This week, I started weekly non-stress tests and visited with the OB again. No more midwives. :(
In my first NST, I was kinda nervous, since it was something new and I didn't quite know what to expect. I arrived and was hooked up to the monitors while the nurse contacted central scheduling to reschedule (for the 3rd time!) all of my remaining appointments. The nurse left me to push the clicker when Lucy moved, hold the fetal monitor against my stomach so it would capture Lucy's heartbeat, hold a reference sheet in that same hand, and with the mechanical blood pressure machine attached to my arm. Mind you, I was laying on my back (which I can't do very long without getting light headed), under the vent which was blowing hot air right into my face. After 40 minutes of the visit, the nurse decided these were perfect conditions for taking my pulse. Of course, I was about to pass out or have a heart attack from all the stress of my non-stress test. She was worried about my high pulse and sent an immediate report to my OB, whom I was going to visit next.
Lucy was perfect in the NST. She moved beautifully, her heart rate accelerated and decreased properly, her fluid levels were normal. I was very proud of her cooperation! I was told, for the first time, that my placenta might be in a "suboptimal" (my favorite word!) position, too close to the cervical opening. I'm trying to ignore that comment and focus on positive thinking that my daughter is perfect and will be delivered in about 2 months one way or another.
In case you're wondering, at my OB visit, all my stats were fine. Dr. T told me not to worry about my pulse since it was fine in his office. He said my uterus measured great and Lucy's heart rate sounded perfect. And then he scheduled me to return to his office next week. So, Monday, December 27 will be a very busy day: Lucy gets a growth scan, another fetal echo, and then we have our weekly NST. Tuesday, we visit the OB again. All of these visits make me think Lucy will be at home with us before we know it!

No comments:
Post a Comment