Monday, October 4, 2010

HALF WAY!

October 2 was a very special day for us.  If you've been reading along, then you know that we lost our first baby earlier this year.  While little Poppy was only a few weeks along when I miscarried, October 2 was his/ her due date.  As healing as this new pregnancy has been, there's still a raw hurt surrounding me. 

That being said, October 2 was also the halfway point for Peanut's growth!  We are just past 20 weeks and only have 20 more weeks to go!  Peanut is now the size of a banana.  I learned this weekend that after 20 weeks, babies are measured differently.  Prior to 20 weeks, those little baby legs are curled up and babies are measured crown to rump.  Now, as evidenced by the beginner's tae bo occuring in my lower abdomen, Peanut's legs are stretching out and moving more regularly.  So, from head to toe, I'm now carrying a wiggly banana. :)

This coming week is one of the most exciting!  We have our 5 months visit with the OB, after our mid-pregnancy ultrasound.  I cannot wait!!!  I'm so excited to see my baby and I'm ready to name him/ her.  I've heard that you really start bonding with your baby after this ultrasound.  And I can't think of anything to do but smile about that.

I thought it would be fun to mention some Old Wives Tales and what they mean for our baby's gender.

Heart rate:  Over 140= female, Under 140= male.  In our first ultrasound at 6 weeks, Peanut's HR was 133.  At week 8, 188.  At week 16, 160.  I'm saying female on this one.

Belly shape:  Carrying high with a "watermelon"= female, Low with a "basketball"= male.  I don't really know how to judge this one, but I feel like a watermelon.  So, female.

Acne: A girl steals her mother's good looks.  A boy is more thoughtful, I suppose.  Ok, I've never had acne issues- knock on wood.  However, I do seem to be breaking out more than normal (which honestly means, I have about 4 spots on my face.)  So, female again.

Veins under your eyeball?!  Who comes up with this stuff?  Ok, if you pull down the skin under your left eye and see a vein in the shape of a "V" or "branches", it's a girl.  I got nothing, so score one for male!

Bread heels:  If you enjoy the heels, its a boy.  If not, girl.  I'm not really a fan of any bread crust at any time, so girl again.

Dreams: If you dream of a boy, it'll be a girl and vice versa.  Ok, for the first 4 months, I had a strong feeling Peanut was a girl and my dreams all had a baby girls.  However, this past month or so, my "strong" feeling has subsided and now I dream about a little boy.  No clear winner.

Clumsiness:  Clumsy during pregnancy= boy.  I'm definitely more clumsy. 

Cold feet:  If you're feet are colder during pregnancy, it's a boy.  If not, girl.  I wore socks in the house yesterday.  Typically, I wear flip flops until it snows.  In this case, I'm having a boy.

Ok, I also purchased a gender prediction kit a few weeks ago.  You know, just for fun.  It very clearly read BOY. 

I think it boils down to this... we should know Peanut's gender and name Thursday night.  I can't wait, but I know I'll be overjoyed in either case.  I know my baby is nothing short of a miracle and boy or girl, he/ she will be everything we've ever dreamed of having... a perfect angel to hold and snuggle and love forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment